Monday 15 September 2008

Seventh Wonderland

From the beaches of Sydney, couple Bonnie Coumbe and Carlos Aviles have created a concept for those who aspire for absolute quality in unique, functional & beautifully constructed swimwear.





1. Describe yourself in a sentence.

Colourful, smiley and creative which is a pain sometimes because I can't switch my mind off when I want to!

2. What is the first thing you ever designed?

I started my creativity at a very young age as both my parents are artists. I think the first thing I ever designed was a black two piece swim suit which I made on mums sewing machine when I was about 14. It was a little boy leg pant with a bandeau top similar to one which I remade for another swimwear label years later.

3. Describe your labels aesthetic.

We are pushing traditional swim wear boundaries and creating personality’s within silhouettes that reflect style. Seventh Wonderland is for those who aspire for absolute quality in unique, functional & beautifully constructed swimwear. It is very much infused with a distinctly look that embodies art, lifestyle & romance.

4. Where do you draw your inspiration from?

I draw inspiration from many elements like art, music, my child hood, vintage shopping, Jewellery, and of course traveling to amazing destinations all over the world when I can afford it.

5. What is your point of difference?

There are many points of difference within seventh wonderland, from detailed construction using techniques like pleating, beading, smocking and hand dyed fabrics. Comfort is a must and we have used high quality Italian fabrics to achieve this with our swimwear. All the prints are hand created originals and the one pieces are designed to be worn either as outer wear with your favourite jeans or if you just want to go to the beach with girlfriends.

6. What is the best thing about what you do?

I can be completely creative and the dream I have always had of owning my own swimwear label is finally coming into fruition.

7. Tell us about your current collection.

The current collection ‘Bijou’s Escapade’ is a kaleidoscope of stylized motifs that reflect the art deco era and the reinterpretation of the sleek glamorous late 70’s. The collection draws inspiration from music campaigns with artists like Annie Lennox and Grace Jones.

8. What are you working on right now?

I'm currently juggling the planning stages of next season’s collection and gearing up for the ‘Project’ event in Las Vegas. I also work as a freelance Textile artist which keeps me nice and busy.













No comments: